This guide will explain how to install .net4 to your Windows Virtuozzo VPs through Remote Desktop Protocol
IMPORTANT: Ensure you restart your VPS before carrying out any of the below. This will ensure you have no pending updates or setting awaiting a restart to take affect.
IMPORTANT: If your VPS does not have the Plesk Panel, IIS will not be installed. You will need to first install IIS via RDC in 'Server Manager > Roles > Add Roles'.
If not already done make sure IE ESC is off as per https://www.daily.co.uk/support?id=886
Open Internet Explorer and download the database file you wish to install. An example of SQL 2008 R2 would be http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23650
We would advise to generally download the version with tools.
Download the 64bit version of the database software.
1) Save the file on the VPS.
2) Leave it set as an application. Click save.
3) If you didn't alter the default save location it will be in the downloads folder. Double click the file.
4) Accept the security warning and run the file.
5) Select option to perform a new installation.
6) Accept the licence. Select next.
7) you can leave all the options system paths set as they are (Recommended). Click next to proceed.
8) Again accept the defaults and click Next.
9) Same, leave them set as default, but click 'Use the same account for all SQL server services'
10) Select NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE as the account name, click Ok and then next.
11) Leave the authentication set to 'Windows authentication mode' (Recommended) and click Add user. Click Next to install.
12) You should now get the summery page and a completed installation. Click close and then close the installation center.
13) As a final test go to 'Start > All programs > Microsoft SQL server 2008 R2 > SQL Server Manangement Studio.
14) By default the "Server name" will show (local) as the server name. Add \SQLEXPRESS to (local) and click connect. Leave the other settings the same (unless you changed authentication to SQL which isn't recommended anyway, so don't do it).
15) This will open a connection to your database server in Microsoft SQL management studio..
If you do install a different version, for example the none R2 version of SQL 2008, look for any warnings during the install process. The none R2 version, for example, needs the SQL service pack 1 installing to be compatible with our version of Windows 2008. It's a similar install process just download the service pack and install after installing SQL.
If you do get a warning on the original install don't run the application after the install until you apply whatever service pack they specify.
Last Updated: 26/06/2012
Article ID: 954